Looking for the best checking accounts with no fees? You’re in the right place. While many banks claim to offer no-fee checking accounts, only a handful truly deliver on this promise. Let’s dive into the top picks for September 2023.
Table of Contents
Why Choose Checking Accounts with No Fees?
Checking accounts with no fees is the real deal. They save you money by not charging monthly maintenance fees, which is often the catch when banks advertise “fee-free” accounts. The ideal no-fee checking accounts shouldn’t demand a minimum balance and should have minimal charges for overdrafts and ATM usage outside their network.
Top Picks for Checking Accounts with No Fees
Following an analysis of 157 checking accounts from 66 banks and credit unions, based on a survey by Forbes.com, we’ve pinpointed the top contenders. Check out the full survey here. These checking accounts with no fees stand out for their features and customer reviews.
- Axos Bank Rewards Checking: A standout among no-fee checking accounts, it offers up to 3.30% APY on balances up to $50,000. With no monthly maintenance fee, no minimum balance, and unlimited domestic ATM charge reimbursements, it’s a winner.
- PenFed Credit Union Access America Checking: While it has a $10 monthly fee, you can easily dodge it. Just set up monthly direct deposits of $500 or maintain a daily balance of $500, and you’re in the clear with one of the best no-fee checking accounts.
- Discover Cashback Debit Checking: This is a gem in the world of no-fee checking accounts. No monthly maintenance fee, no minimum balance, and a cashback reward system make it a top choice.
- NBKC bank Everything Account: Another star in the no-fee checking accounts universe. No monthly fees, no minimum balance, and access to a vast ATM network make it a favorite.
- TIAA Bank Yield Pledge Checking: This account promises that its interest rate will always be in the top 5% of competitive accounts. With no monthly fees and a host of other benefits, it’s a strong contender in the no-fee checking accounts category.
How to Choose the Best Checking Accounts with No Fees
When hunting for the best checking accounts with no fees, consider the following:
- Definition of “No-Fee”: Ensure the bank’s definition aligns with yours. Some might not charge monthly fees but might have other charges.
- Other Fees: Even no-fee checking accounts might have other charges like ATM fees. Always check the fine print.
- Interest Rates: Some checking accounts with no fees also offer interest. Look for those to get more bang for your buck.
- Customer Service: Good customer service can make your experience with no-fee checking accounts even better.
Checking accounts with no fees is a boon for those looking to save money and avoid unnecessary bank charges. The options listed above are among the best out there. Always do your research, read reviews, and choose the one that fits your financial needs the best. Remember, in the world of banking, no-fee checking accounts are the way to go!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What are no-fee checking accounts?
Answer: No-fee checking accounts are bank accounts that do not charge users a monthly maintenance fee. They are designed to save customers money by eliminating common charges associated with traditional checking accounts.
2. Why should I consider checking accounts with no fees?
Answer: Checking accounts with no fees can save you money over time by not charging you for monthly maintenance. Additionally, many of these accounts come with other beneficial features, such as no minimum balance requirements, cashback rewards, and competitive interest rates.
3. Are all no-fee checking accounts truly free of all charges?
Answer: While these accounts do not charge a monthly maintenance fee, some might have other charges, such as ATM fees or overdraft fees. It’s essential to read the fine print and understand all potential charges associated with the account.
4. Which banks offer the best checking accounts with no fees?
Answer: Based on the content provided, some top picks for no-fee checking accounts include Axos Bank Rewards Checking, PenFed Credit Union Access America Checking, Discover Cashback Debit Checking, nbkc bank Everything Account, and TIAA Bank Yield Pledge Checking.
5. Do any of these checking accounts with no fees offer interest?
Answer: Yes, some no-fee checking accounts also offer interest. For instance, the Axos Bank Rewards Checking offers up to 3.30% APY on balances up to $50,000.
6. Are there any requirements to maintain a no-fee status for these accounts?
Answer: Some banks might have specific requirements to waive monthly fees or other charges. For example, the PenFed Credit Union Access America Checking account waives its $10 monthly fee if you set up monthly direct deposits of $500 or maintain a daily balance of $500.
7. How do no-fee checking accounts compare to traditional checking accounts?
Answer: No-fee checking accounts primarily differ in the absence of monthly maintenance fees. They often come with additional benefits like cashback rewards, competitive interest rates, and vast ATM networks, making them more advantageous than many traditional checking accounts.
8. How can I open one of these checking accounts with no fees?
Answer: Many banks and credit unions allow online applications. Typically, you’ll need to provide personal information, such as your name, address, and Social Security number. Some might require a minimum opening deposit, while others might not.
9. What should I consider when choosing between different no-fee checking accounts?
Answer: Look for accounts that align with your banking habits and needs. Consider factors like other potential fees, interest rates, customer service reputation, ATM network size, and any additional features or benefits the account might offer.
10. Are online-only banks a good option for no-fee checking accounts?
Answer: Yes, online-only banks often offer competitive no-fee checking accounts. They can provide these accounts with fewer charges because they typically have lower overhead costs than traditional brick-and-mortar banks.
Prashant ChauhanAuthor @ Finance Ruffle
Meet Prashant Pratap Chauhan, the savvy founder behind Finance Ruffle, a hub for sharp financial insights and expert analysis in the realm of finance blogging.